There are a lot of reasons you may be in the market for a good lawyer. If you are filing chapter 7 bankruptcy, you will have a better chance tp succeed with it. If you are looking to file a workers compensation claim, having a great attorney by your side can make all of the difference in the outcome of your case. The problem is that many people are not sure where to start when they are looking to hire a law firm.
- Talk to the people you know. Given the litigious nature of the society in which we live, the chances are very good that you know someone who has needed the same kind of attorney that you want to hire. Talk to your friends and family about what you are looking to do. Depending on the kind of lawyer you are going to need to hire, you may need to find someone in your area as the laws that govern your kind of case may vary from state to state. You may not go with the person they used but this can give you a place to start.
- Look online. Start with the Bar Association in your area. You should also check with the Better Business Bureau. A general Google or Bing search can also get you a lot of information about the law firms in your area. Another idea is to check Facebook. There are a lot of groups and pages set up up to promote local businesses so these are great places to find good attorneys.
- Get the right kind of lawyer. Make sure the lawyer you hire is the right kind of lawyer. Like medical professionals, attorneys specialize. Your divorce lawyer will not be able to help you with personal injury cases. Make sure you know what kind of lawyer you need to hire before you start the process of looking for and hiring one.
- Interview at least three law firms. It is easy to hire the first law firm you talk to. That is a mistake. You need to know what your options are. Most law firms have free first consultations with new or prospective clients. Take advantage of that policy to talk to at least three law firms. You will feel better with your choice if you have taken the time to talk to a few law firms.
- Ask the right questions and get answers. Here are some of the questions you should ask:
- What made you pick this kind of law? No matter what kind of attorney you need, this person will become your advocate and you want them to fight for you and your interests. You want them to be passionate about what they do.
- How long have you been in practice? How much of your practice is spent on this kind of law. Most lawyers handle a variety of cases. Having a lawyer who works on your kind of case and has a decent amount of experience. Their reputation will have a big impact on the outcome for your case so you want someone who is well known.
- Who will be working on my case? Will I be able to ask my main lawyer questions? Law firms have a number of different professionals working for them. They have paralegals, legal secretaries and others filing paperwork and taking care of the work that has to be done. You should be able to meet the people who will work on your case and when you really need to talk to your main lawyer, they should be available.
- What are your billing policies? Every law firm handles their billing differently. In a lot of cases, clients do not have to pay their lawyer’s fee unless the case has a good outcome but there are other expenses that may be incurred. If experts need to be brought in and deposed, that can be costly and you may be responsible. You should do what you can to make sure you understand how much the law firm charges, what expenses you will need to pay and what the terms are for making your payments.
Follow these tips and you will get the right attorney for your case.