Even if you’re the most responsible driver in the entire world, accidents can happen to anyone at any time. Across the United States, roughly 37,000 people die in car accidents every year and an additional 2.3 million people are severely injured.
Before you get behind the wheel, you should look into choosing a lawyer that can help you in the event of a personal injury suit as a result of a car crash. Visit quality law firms and speak to experienced lawyers in order to work with someone who can successfully represent you in court. In addition to choosing a lawyer, however, you should know exactly what to do if you’ve been in a dangerous auto accident. Here are your first steps:
- Make sure you are safe — The first thing you should do is make sure you’re not in any more immediate danger. If your car is upside down and oil is everywhere, even if it’s extremely difficult, you should try your best to exit the vehicle and get to a safe area. In addition, if you experienced a serious head injury (and you’re not in immediate danger), sit put and wait for the ambulance to arrive.
- Make sure everyone in your car is safe — After you performed a quick check on yourself to make sure your injuries are not life threatening, talk to everyone else in your vehicle and make sure they are all okay.
- Contact emergency services — Hopefully, they are already on their way, but be sure to at least double check and call 911 right after the crash. If no one called an ambulance, even though they will likely show up eventually, it might be too late for someone on the scene. So make sure you call right away.
- Think about what happened — It can be difficult to figure out exactly what’s going on immediately after a serious car accident but you should try your best. Gather your bearings and try to remember certain details that will come in handy in the upcoming days and weeks.
- Take pictures and write down everything — Document everything so you can give your lawyer all the details they need to defend you in court. Take pictures and write down exactly what happened.
- Contact your car accident lawyer — After you speak with emergency staff, your next step should be to call your lawyer. When choosing a lawyer to represent you, be sure to work with one who is always available for you to call. You never know when you’re going to need to contact a lawyer, so make sure they are ready to take your call anytime.
Be careful out on the roads and do your best to handle each auto accident you come across correctly. If you need additional legal assistance, contact Golden Law Office today.