No one wants to need a personal injury lawyer but they exist for a reason. If you have been in a motor vehicle crash, you might be entitles to a car accident settlement. You have a time limit on when you can legally file a civil case so time is not on your side with these kinds of cases.
Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Only you can answer that but most personal injury law firms offer free first consultations so you can scope them and their practice out to see if you do have a claim for a car accident settlement and if the law firm is a good fit for you and your case.
Questions to Ask a Personal Injury Lawyer:
- What is their experience trying your kind of case? Every case is different and individual as the people involved. You want a lawyer who has a decent amount of experience negotiating your car accident settlement. The vast majority of these cases do not go to trial. Between 95 and 96% of all cases settle before they even make it to a courtroom so having a person with good negotiating skills is essential.
- How many years have their practiced personal injury law? Like physicians, lawyers specialize in different kinds of law. You would not go to a divorce attorney for your car accident settlement anymore than you would go to a cardiologist for a skin condition. This is really no different. You need a lawyer who has specialized in your kind of case.
- Ask about the time frame they think they can work something out in your case. You need to focus on healing from your car accident and let the lawyers deal with the legal issues. That is what they are there to do. You may be able to better do that if you know how long it will take to finalize your case. See if their time line fits in with your plan.
- Ask about their fee structure. Many firms will only expect to receive payment if you do but you need to settle all of that in writing before you select an attorney. You will make your life a lot less stressful if you nail down what is expected of you when the case is finally settled. Your car accident settlement can only be deemed successful if it lets you pay for your medical expenses and other living costs. You may be out of work for a time and the car accident settlement can help pay you for lost wages and income.
- How well do you get along with the attorney? You do not need to make them your best friend but you care going to have to share some very personal details about your life and your pain and suffering from the accident. You want to keep detailed records of all your medical appointments and expenses to share with your personal injury lawyer. If you cannot openly and honestly communicate with your legal team, they will be useless to you and to your case.
- What is their reputation around your town? If they are well thought of in the legal community that can make a big difference in the outcome of your case and get you a better car accident settlement. You want all of the players in your case to have heard of your lawyers who are working on your case. Your case might go through a little faster is everyone is familiar with each other, too. If they have good relationships with the other side’s legal representation, that can only work to your benefit. Do an online search and see what clients say about them.
Your lawyer will meet with you and determine if you have a case for a car accident settlement. They want to help you get the help and support you need throughout your recovery. It is important that you find someone who is a good fit for you and your situation. Each case is different. Do some research and you should be able to find the right personal injury lawyer for your case and situation.